Friday, January 13, 2006

 

Ebbey Karma


Allex Michael: Ebbey's wildness is in stark contrast to my first dog. A black shepherd bouvier cross who was exceptionally well trained with just 15 minute training sessions per day. People would always remark how well behaved my first dog was, heeling off leash in the most stressful of situations. Because of this, I would look at people with badly behaved dogs and wonder why they just didn't take a little time to train their dog.

Adopting Ebbey added some karma to my life. Found starving in a garbage dump, I cut her some slack after our training sessions made little progress. Determined to have a well trained companion, like my first dog, I increased training to twice daily and added food incentives. Ebbey's behavior greatly improved but the results are still disappointing when prey presents itself. After about eighteen months, I've also given up any hope that she will ever heel off leash. In fact, I'm just happy when she doesn't pull me to the ground while chasing a bunny.

Now, people with well trained dogs, watch Ebbey dragging me down the street and wonder why I just don't take a little time to train the unruly beast.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?