Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Prickly Encounter

Despite my mistress yelling, my friend Grizzly and I went to investigate the prickly creature as it rested on the hill.

In the dark, the young porcupine looked like a large discarded bag. Grizzly’s owner and I were discussing recent porcupine sightings and within seconds both dogs were circling the young porcupine. Her quills were already erect and the dogs were circling closer and closer. I immediately ran up near the tail and started yelling at the dogs. Luckily, Ebbey came back submissively after the third yell. I put her back on leash and held her between me and the porcupine’s tail. She wears a harness, which gives me a fair amount of control. Grizzly, on the other hand, was not responding. His owner remained at a safer distance screaming for the dog to return. As I kept warning Grizzly not to approach, I tried to block his approaches to the porcupine. Finally, he went back to his owner. I was very pleased that Ebbey minded me. It’s quite a contrast to what was she was like when first adopted.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?